One in six people across the world is a member of a co-operative. One billion people know the power of cooperatives in their lives.
Ranging from small-scale to multi-million dollar businesses across the globe, cooperatives employ more than 100 million women and men. This means that worker co-operatives around the world employ 20% more people than the world’s multinational combined. Co-operation really works!
You might not notice, but there are a good number of well-known international brands that are cooperatives.
The following are a few examples:
- Sunkist: producer cooperative USA
- Fagor : Worker Co-op Mondragon Group, Spain
- Conad: Supermarket chain, cooperative system of entrepreneurs dealing in large-scale distribution, Italy
- Co-operative Insurance Services (CIS): Insurance coop, UK
- FC Barcelona: Supporter-owned club, Spain
- Banca Popolare: Thousands of local banks owned by the depositors, Italy
- London Symphony Orchestra: Artist-owned co-op, UK
- Credit Mutuelle: Banking co-operative, France
- Coop: Consumer co-operative, Italy
- Associated Press (AP): Media organisation
- John Lewis: Worker-owned co-op, UK)
- Bayern Munich: Supporter-owned football club, Germany
- Robobank: Banking co-operative, The Netherlands