The Maritime Cooperative Network within the Malta Cooperative Federation has proposed a series of proposals to promote a better maritime industry.
The Network is comprised of six cooperatives, all of which are members of the Malta Cooperative Federation. These are Comino Ferries Cooperatives Ltd; Malta Boatmen and Mooring Services Cooperative Ltd; Malta Maritime Pilots Cooperative Ltd; Malta Mooring Masters Cooperative Ltd; Mediterranean Maritime Research and Training Centre Cooperative Ltd; Ports Foremen Cooperative Ltd.
The scope of this document is to provide politicians and policymakers with a set of proposals directly from maritime professionals that will make the industry stronger if implemented.
The proposals include:
- Appointing a Minister responsible solely on Maritime Affairs and the Blue Economy
- The establishment of a Maritime Authority which includes within its structures statutory expert groups made of maritime professionals
- The creation of a national maritime strategy
- More research, training and education on maritime affairs in order to keep up with the industry’s demands
- Strengthening Malta Maritime’s position internationally
The full document is available here.